The Institute of Slavic Studies of the Polish Academy of Sciences and The Anthropos Doctoral School of the Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences invite you to participate in the recruitment for the position of assistant doctoral student under the ERC Starting Grant “Recycling the German Ghosts. Resettlement Cultures in Poland, Czechia and Slovakia after 1945” (SPECTRAL RECYCLING, no. 101041946, Principal Investigator: Karolina Ćwiek-Rogalska, PhD)
Job title: Research assistant – PhD student (1 person)
Scope of work:
– participation in meetings and seminars of the research team (on-line, except for the annual meeting in person);
– conducting qualitative field research in selected regions of Poland (Western or Central Pomerania) and the Czech Republic (North Bohemia in Liberec and its vicinity), independently and together with the research team;
– individual archival queries in indicated archives (depending on the research region);
– preparation of a doctoral dissertation within 4 years and implementation of the Anthropos DS educational program;
– joint analysis of collected research data;
– dissemination of research results (participation in scientific conferences, preparation of partial publications – articles, participation in events promoting the research, preparation of research notes).
– master’s degree in the field of humanities or social sciences, history, anthropology, ethnology, cultural studies/culture and religion studies or related;
– experience in conducting field and archival research;
– knowledge of Polish and Czech (allowing field research) and English (allowing free communication and writing texts);
– strong motivation for scientific work and preparation of a doctoral dissertation;
– willingness to engage in team work.
Employment conditions under the grant:
Starting date: 1 October 2023
Form of employment:
● full-time employment contract (research assistant-PhD student position)
● duration of employment: 44 months (for the duration of the project; in case of extension of the project, the contract may be extended until the end of the project)
The amount of remuneration for 44 months: PLN 9,012.50/month gross. These amounts will be reduced by relevant contributions.
During the remaining period of education at the Doctoral School, the PhD student will receive a scholarship in the amount specified in the law.
For more information about the project, see: https://spectralrecycling.ispan.edu.pl/
If you have any additional questions, please contact the Principal Investigator: email@example.com
A) recruitment form I and form II, available on the Anthropos IPAN Doctoral School website – https://anthropos.edu.pl/en/recruitment-for-the-academic-year-2023-2024/, in two files in PDF format, containing:
1) motivation letter addressed to the Director of the Institute of Slavic Studies PAS,
2) completed application for admission to the School with an indication of ISS PAS as the institute where the candidate will carry out the research project, addressed to the head of the School,
3) a project of a doctoral dissertation thematically related to the “Spectral Recycling” project; for more information about the project, see: https://spectralrecycling.ispan.edu.pl/
4) an academic curriculum vitae with a list of publications and academic accomplishments, according to the template provided by the School,
5) data on education at doctoral studies or at another doctoral school, if applicable,
6) contact information of a researcher who could provide opinion about the candidate, along with consent to the processing of the employee’s personal data
7) a copy of the master’s degree diploma or a certificate from the place of education about obtaining a master’s degree (in the case of foreigners – an equivalent document), or a certificate of admission to the defence that will take place before October 1, 2023, or a certificate of implementation of the “Diamond Grant”,
8) a copy of a certificate confirming knowledge of a foreign language at least at B2 level (or equivalent); in the absence of a certificate, part of the interview may be conducted in a foreign language for the purposes of verification.
B) In separate files:
- Completed questionnaire (please see the attached file),
- ID sized photograph of the candidate,
- Copy of a master’s thesis or its equivalent (in PDF format) or a sample scientific text of which the Candidate is the sole author and which is a certificate of the Candidate’s research competence (in the form of a file, preferably in PDF format),
- For applicants outside of the EU countries: certified diploma or certified translation, or a recognition statement provided by the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA).
Documents* should be sent electronically by August 31, 2023, 3.30 PM to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: DOKTORANT/KA – ERC) or deliver a copy to the seat of the ISS PAS, Bartoszewicza 1b /17, Warsaw.
- Copies of documents should be sent electronically within the indicated deadline to: email@example.com (subject: DOKTORANT/KA – ERC) or deliver a copy to the seat of the Anthropos School in the Institute of History at the Polish Academy of Sciences, Rynek Starego Miasta 29/31 (room 43), Warsaw.
Application materials received after the deadline will not be considered in the application process. The submission of documents should be understood as their receipt by the entities indicated in the announcement.
Candidates chosen for an interview will be informed of this decision via email by September 1, 2023. Interviews will take place between September 4-8, 2023 (or may take place via Zoom or other electronic meeting services). Recruitment results will be announced by September 15, 2023.
Information clause on personal data processing in the recruitment process, Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences
- The Controller of your personal data is the Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, with its registered office in Warsaw, ul. Bartoszewicza 1B/17; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 22 826 76 88. The Institute is entered in the Register of Scientific Institutes (RIN), under the number RIN-I-30/98, NIP: 525-00-12-159, REGON: 000326210.
- The Controller has appointed a Personal Data Officer, Mr Krzysztof Radtke, who can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the recruitment process for a post with the Controller and for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller as described below.
- The Controller will process the following categories of your personal data: identification data, contact details, address details, education data, data on the course of previous employment, data on hobbies and interests.
- Other data is processed on the basis of your voluntary consent, which you have expressed by sending us your recruitment application, and its submission does not affect the possibility of participation in the recruitment process.
- Your personal data is processed for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller – on the basis of Article 6 paragraph 1 point (f) of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (hereinafter referred to as GDPR) – consisting in searching for and hiring employees and conducting recruitment procedures aimed at employing an employee whose qualifications best meet the Controller’s needs.
- Your personal data is processed to the extent necessary to conclude and perform the employment contract, pursuant to GDPR Article 6 paragraph 1 point (c).
- The Controller does not plan to transfer your personal data to recipients outside the EEA, i.e. to third countries.
- Your personal data will be processed until the recruitment process is completed.
- You have the right to access your personal data and to have it rectified, the right to request from the Controller its erasure or restriction of processing, the right of portability, and the right to object to processing. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory body – in Poland: President of the Personal Data Protection Office – if you consider that the processing of your personal data violates applicable legal regulations.
- Considering that your personal data is processed for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation.
* A candidate’s personal data are processed by the Institute of History at the Polish Academy of Sciences (Rynek Starego Miasta 29/31, 00-272 Warsaw) for the purposes of this application. Data is shared voluntarily, but these data are necessary for the application process. Data will be processed during the necessary period for carrying out a selection process, including archiving. Data can be shared with authorized entities, and administrative and organizational services, on the basis of applicable laws. The person to whom the data belong, maintains the right to access their own personal data, as well as the right to correct that data, delete them or limit their processing. In addition, your personal data can be transferred at your request or you can file a complaint about its processing with the Office of Personal Data Protection. For all matters concerning the processing of personal data, please contact the Inspector of Data Protection of the IH PAN: firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed information is available on our website: